The Medication Therapy Management Clinic at Centro Medico Santagostino was created to care for patients with complex diagnosis and treatment requirements which often involve different specialtists and involve symptoms that arenot always related to obvious causes. We take a holistic approach, integrating multidisciplinary expertise in our attempt to understand the problems afflicting the patient.
The clinical condition of patients of this clinic can be characterized by:
- a difficult diagnostic and therapeutic process, which often involves various specialists;
- a large number of drug therapies, sometimes accompanied by complications at the physical, personal or social level;
- physical symptoms which are sometimes painful but, following a thourough medical exam, do not appear to be associated with an obvious cause;
- disorders with more or less dominant "functional"component such as irritable bowel syndrome, asthma, stress, fibromyalgia, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease.
The clinic offers the possibility of choosing between three possible pathways:
- the medical path - a specialist develops the diagnostic plan and guides the patient to the most appropriate pharmacological treatments;
- the psychological path - an expert in neurobiology and psychosomatic disorders understand the relationship between the presence of symptoms and the patient's experience of subjective distress;
- the integrated path - two professionals collaborate on the same clinical case.
The visit with the doctor, the psychologist, or both, in separate and consecutive sessions, is the first step in the process of achieving a complete understanding the pateint's case and deveoping a targeted therapeutic plan.