The Centre for Sleep Disorders at Centro Medico Santagostino diagnoses and treats sleep related problems.
Sleep is a physiological state in which physical and mental activity is "turned off" to restore energy. Sleep is an enigma in the scientific world: we know that it involves the whole body and is essential for survival, but we do not know a lot about its function and its alterations. It is important not to overlook sleep problems. If we do not sleep well we will be tired and unable to focus on our daily activities at work, school, or in social settings.
Sleep disturbances can also give rise to different diseases, which must undergo careful medical evaluation and receive specific treatment. The visit with the sleep practitioner begins with the collection of a thorough medical history of both the sleep disorder and an other medical conditions, any medication the patient currently takes, quality of life, and any mental disorders. After a thorough neurological examination, the doctor discusses potential clinical and therapeutic options.
The presence of a multidisciplinary team, composed of neurologists, otolaryngologists, dentists, psychologists, nutritionists and dieticians, allows for an accurate assessment of the problem and an appropriate choice of treatment for each individual patient.
A visit to our neurologists with expertise in sleep medicine is particularly indicated for patients with the following diseases:
- sleep disorders related to breathing/snoring;
- hypersomnia (excessive sleepiness);
- disorders of the circadian rhythm of sleep;pa
- leep disorders related to movement.
At Centro Medico Santagostino you can use advanced diagnostic tests to record a night's sleep at home and help your doctor make a correct diagnosis and better therapeutic choice:
- actigraphy: indicated for the evaluation of circadian rhythms, especially in patients suffering from insomnia;
- polysomnography (cardiorespiratory monitoring): indicated for the presence of respiratory disturbances and snoring during the night. This examination takes place at home. To schedule this exam please fill out this form and you will be contacted;
- polysomnography with EEG (the most comprehensive examination allowing you to simultaneously record multiple physiological parameters during the night). This examination takes place at home. To schedule this exam please fill out this form and you will be contacted.
- CPAP titration (allows for the determination of a proper ventilatory treatment for patients with sleep apnea syndrome). To schedule this exam please fill out this form and you will be contacted.